Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Katie's Rolls



And their whole wheat cousins below...

(They're not the glamour girls that the all white lovelies are, but I sure like them anyway.)

Katie is my sister. She makes the best rolls. Mine are pretty good too, but never somehow quite as perfect as hers. They say it's good to have something to aspire to.

I've been hobnobbing with the parents-in-law tonight, so I might not be able to muster my usual 70 trillion words (profound as they are).

Katie's Rolls
Makes 16-24

1 C warm water
1 C milk, warmed (not hot)
2 Tbsp yeast
1/4 C butter
2 tsp salt
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
7-8 C flour

Add yeast to water and milk. Let it sit there if you've got five minutes. If you'll get distracted by leaving a thing for five minutes, then just throw the butter, salt, sugar, and eggs in before you forget what on earth you were doing in the first place. Mix it all together. Mix in 4 C flour. Add 2 more cups. Begin kneading with hands when it gets too tough to stir. Of course, if you're a member of the 21st century and have a Kitchenaid, you can use that too with the dough hook. I myself haven't quite made it to the 21st century and that's okay with me because (weird mental disorder alert) I kind of like kneading. It relaxes me. I like how the dough smells. I like how it feels.

So if you, like me, will be doing things manually, here is #1 best tip for rolls. The dough should be pillowy--like a mother's bosom. We don't want any tight teenage breasts, nor do we want a stretched and sagging grandma shelf. If a three-year-old would just love to lay her head on your dough, it's perfect. (Warning: If you have a real life 3-year-old available, do not invite her to lay her head upon your dough to test it out. You'll get hair in your dough. And possibly boogers. Which is what mother's bosoms also get covered in when they have three-year-olds. Not that we mind because three-year-olds are cute.) I've digressed, haven't I? Anyway, so keep adding flour in 1/4 C increments or so and knead it for about 8 minutes until it is nice and pillowy and perhaps the teeniest little bit tacky, but not sticky. Then put it in a bowl and cover it and keep it in a warm place. (Everyone always says put it in an oiled bowl. I have never, not even once in my life done this. I always just throw it back in the bowl I mixed it in. It is always always fine. Who are these people with their oiled bowls and what is the purpose of oiling the bowl?)

Tip #2: If it's cold in your house, stick the bowl with the dough in the oven. Turn the oven on for 1 minute. Then turn the oven off and leave the dough in the warmed oven. (Do not leave the room to go do something in that one minute. You will never remember your dough. It will cook right there in your bowl with a dish towel over it and perhaps your house will burn down. This is not worth what you were going to do in that one minute.)

Let it rise for one hour or until doubled. Then punch it down and shape it into rolls. Put the rolls on a greased baking sheet. Cover them and let them rise again--this time for about 20 minutes.


(They should look kind of like this.)

Bake at 375 for about 10-13 minutes. I like my rolls just a bit on the dough-y end. I always break them open to determine if they're just right and not way too doughy still. It's not the perfect technique, but it works.

You can make the rolls ahead of time and freeze them. You can make the dough ahead and refrigerate it (covered in plastic wrap) for about 24 hours. You can even make them to the rolled roll point and then freeze them and then take them out, let them dethaw and rise, then bake them. The possibilities are limitless. As it seems is my ability to write many many words even when I am so so tired and have said I will not tonight write many many words.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

3 comments:

  1. I would just like to make a small suggestion. In my kitchen, the warming instructions go like this:
    1. Turn the oven on its lowest setting.
    2. Leave it for one minute.
    3. Then turn it off.
    4. NOW put the rolls in warmed oven to rise.
    Because some of us, WITHOUT FAIL, are unable to stay focused for even sixty seconds when the rolls go in first. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. can these be made with oat flour,are there any differance in using the ingredents? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't ever made them with oat flour, but I'm guessing not because the gluten is essential to the texture of the roll. If you use a flour without gluten (like oat) you'll end up with a roll that isn't very tender or "chewy" (for lack of a better word). In order to make it work with oat flour, I think you'd have to add some sort of gluten-free filler ingredient that would mimic what the gluten does.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...