Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Monthly Shopping List Template

Lately I've been trying to shop a little bit less. Partly this is because I believe I spend more money the more I shop, especially those "little" trips, where I just need to "grab a few things." Yet, over the summer the even larger reason I want to shop less is that I have 4 children at home with me and they do not want to go shopping. When they do end up going shopping, they want pretty much every brightly colored food that exists at their eye level. And you know what that means.

So I've been avoiding shopping. I've been trying to do a large monthly shopping trip with weekly milk/produce runs. Which requires a little planning. One of the things I've done is to create a huge master grocery list. It contains almost everything I could possibly need for that month. Which isn't to say I will be buying everything on that list. I plan to put the list in a sheet protector and then make a little dry erase check by each thing I need that month. The purpose of the list is to keep me from forgetting things. Because forgetting things is the main reason I end up going back to the store for whatever basic item I forgot. And 12 other things. And a cookie. Just kidding about the cookie part. Well, sometimes.

I realize my list might not work exactly for you, but it might give you a pretty good idea of where to begin if you also wish to shop less, but more efficiently.

PRINTABLE LIST

Pantry Stable Items:
Wheat
Whole Wheat
Sugar
Brown Sugar
Powdered Sugar
Tomato Sauce
Tomato Soup
Diced Tomatoes
Corn
Olives
Peaches
Nuts
Rice
Lentils
PB
Raisins
Evaporated Milk
Artichokes
Mayo/Mir. Whip
Ketchup
Mustard
Cocoa
Syrup
Salt
Oatmeal
Pasta
Cream of Wheat
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Canola Oil
Pepper
Jam
Honey
Cereal
Chocolate Chips
Applesauce
Lemon Juice
Lime Juice
Tomato Juice

Dairy:
Milk
Mozzarella cheese
Cheddar cheese
Plain yogurt
Other yogurt
Butter
Sour Cream
Cream cheese
Cottage cheese
Ricotta cheese
Cheese sticks
Other cheese

Non-Food Items:
Band-aids
Dishwashing soap
Laundry Detergent
Toothpaste
Dental Floss
Toilet Paper
Paper towels
Bleach
Hand soap
Bar soap

Fruits/Vegetables We Like:
Grapes
Mangoes
Pineapple
Strawberries
Bananas
Apples
Oranges
Tangerines
Cucumbers
Broccoli
Spinach
Peaches
Plums
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery
Lemon
Lime

Freezer Items.Frozen Meat:
Bread
Chicken
Hamburger
Bacon
Juice Concentrate
Tortilla shells
Hot dogs
Fish

Meat We Need:
Eggs

Pets:
Cat food
Cat littler
Duck food

Fruits/Vegetables We Need:




Recipe Specific Items:

3 comments:

  1. Jean I got a bad case of the giggles.

    Dairy:
    Other reason

    Non-food Items:
    Toilet paste

    I'm not sure if those are typos, or you secretly need another reason to buy dairy or have discovered something great called toilet paste, but I'd love to know!

    Thanks for the list. I do wish I grocery shopped less often. I just run out of space! Do you find that is a problem? Especially some foods that have large volume but don't last long - like cereal, yogurt, that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to get me some toilet paste:). Of course, Emma would probably wander around the house eating it...

      I don't run out of space too often. We have plenty of it for one thing--hurray for basements. I do start to feel annoyed when we have, like, 7 boxes of 1/2 serving of whatever that my kids/husband won't just eat because it takes up so much space for so little and because it's just annoying. I always wonder who left the 1/4 C of cereal in the box anyway.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh I hate that. I hate to throw it away and I hate to put it back in the cabinet so small and pathetic.
    Oh you took away toilet paste! Shoot! I actually had a dream about it the other night.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...