Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cadbury Milk Chocolate Cookies

Cheap Eat Challenge: Watch as our family of 6 tries to eat too many sweets and some other food too on $6/day.



One last sweet, then next week, it's back to business. Good thing my business is sweets. No, wait, it's being cheap and a good mom and a nice person and a millionaire who eats a lot of fine chocolate. Sorry, just a little Easter wish there at the end. But seriously, I've got pictures and recipes for bean dishes, potatoes, casserole all languishing on my desktop, awaiting their day in the sun. Well, they can join the club. They, like me, have seen not much sun this weekend. But come Monday, we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Kip is an avid lover of those milk chocolate Cadbury eggs (not to be confused with the large fake-yolk filled Cadbury eggs that I loved as a child, although he likes those too). Tonight I made these cookies to put in his Easter basket because I love him. They actually came out even more delicious than I thought they would. The shell of the Cadbury egg gives a super awesome candy crunch to your cookie and the milk chocolate gives it a sweet something different as far as chocolate flavor. And of course I added a few semi-sweet chips as well to keep it real.

As I whipped up the batter with just a wooden spoon, I was struck by how easy homemade cookies are to make. Much easier than navigating the "bakery" section at your local chain grocery store. And do I even need to say how much better.

Cadbury Milk Chocolate Cookies
Makes 36-48 cookies, Serves: Kip (fine, whatever, I may have had a few tonight too)
Prep time: 7 minutes
Cook time: 9 minutes per batch
Cost: $5.10 (good thing those Cadbury's are a gift)
(butter: 1.15, sugars: 1.00, eggs: .20, flour: .30, Cadbury's: 2.00, semi-sweet chocolate chips: .45)

1 recipe for Kip's Chocolate Chip Cookies:

1 C butter
1 C brown sugar (packed)
1 C sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

And to that you'll add:

1 1/2 C Cadbury eggs, roughly chopped (I admit that I halved the recipe so there'd be Cadbury's left for baskets)
1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips

When I chopped the eggs, it was very rough. I wanted large pieces, so I pretty much chopped at the halfway point--sometimes I got a half and sometimes it shattered into smaller pieces.


Preheat to 375. Cream butter, sugars, and vanilla. Add and mix in eggs. Sift, then add flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir in chopped Cadbury's and chocolate chips. Bake 8-10 minutes until barely golden. DON'T OVERBAKE AND DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING MARGARINE.

Amen and Happy Easter!

P.S. Don't have time to make these this weekend, even better for you. Easter candy goes on sale Monday. Grab some Cadbury's if you can find them and make these.

P.P.S. Check out Sweets for a Saturday for more Easter treat ideas.

PRINTABLE RECIPE



2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm Cadbury Mini Eggs! My favorite :) I don't like the Cream Eggs... Too much goo, I suppose.
    I'm always glad when I can find my Mini Eggs... some years Walmart doesn't have them (stupid Evil Empire!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    We invite you to browse through our store where you can find a wide range of British food favorites including English teas, Cadbury chocolate, Mcvities and Heinz to name a few.

    cadbury chocolate
    British Food

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...