Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bacon Swiss Egg Bake

Cheap Eat Challenge: Watch as our family of 6 tries to eat on $6/day.


I suppose you could eat this for breakfast. It would be especially good on a day like Christmas or Easter when most of the day will be spent sending your glycemic index into places it should never go. However, like so many yummy breakfast foods, our family eats it for dinner. It's good; it's fast; it's simple.

The leftovers are excellent used in biscuit or English muffin sandwiches with a bit of mayo and ketchup.

Bacon Swiss Egg Bake
Makes 9x13 inches worth (we always half it and do an 8x8)
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Cost: $3.25
(bacon: .30, eggs: 1.20, cheese:.75, sour cream: 1.00)

Note on cheese: I love this with Swiss, but Cheddar is also excellent as is a mix of Cheddar and Parmesan. I bet you could also use mozzarella or Monterey Jack.

Note on meat: This recipe originally called for sausage. Kip doesn't like sausage so we used crumbled bacon. I still like sausage best, but they're both awesome. You can also omit the meat altogether to very good effect.

3-4 strips bacon (or 1/2 lb sausage)
12 eggs
2 C sour cream
1 C Swiss cheese
handful spinach (about 1 1/2 C) spinach, chopped
1/4 tsp onion powder or 3 chopped green onions
1/4-1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
dash hot sauce (optional)

Cook bacon till it's on the crispy side, but not burned. Take out of pan and drain on paper towel. When cool enough, crumble.

In a bowl, whisk eggs. Add sour cream and whisk. Add seasonings. Add cheese, chopped spinach, and crumbled bacon.

Pour into lightly greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads between 160 and 180 degrees.

Alternately you can bake these in 8 ramekins. One fun thing about this is that you can make a base with the eggs, sour cream and salt/pepper and then let people add their own cheese, vegetables, and meats.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

3 comments:

  1. This is a lot like my crustless quiche recipe, except I usually add a lot of frozen spinach (I know, that would be kind of gross for your family) and I use plain yogurt instead of sour cream (it doesn't make any difference to the outcome, imho.) Also, I use regular old cheese whatever I have on hand (and now that I look at your recipe again I do have a larger cheese/egg ration... you know my men love their cheese.)
    The kids view the big-green-quiche kind of askance but I have a 100% acceptance rate when I make tiny individual quiches in my muffin tin and call them "cheesy egg cups". I'm not sure what the difference is but even Michael goes nuts for the tiny quiche, he loves that every bite has crispy cheese edges. Kind of a fun variation!

    (Here's the original recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/crustless-spinach-quiche/Detail.aspx
    I usually add bacon bits that I've cooked up earlier in the week. Tomato slices on top makes it GORGEOUS but less child friendly.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I love the idea of putting it in muffin tins. And I'll have to try it with yogurt, which besides being healthier is a bit cheaper too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. Definately going to try!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...