Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Five Favorite Smoothies for the Season

Cheap Eat Challenge, Part 2: Watch as our family of 6 eats on less than $10/day.

Today I wanted to post an apple pear kale smoothie. Only it didn't turn out as amazingly as hoped. I drank it anyway (and managed to spill about a cupful down a crease in the couch and couldn't even blame the kids--big sigh) and it was fine. But nothing blogworthy.

What to do? Why share several of my favorite smoothie recipes with you of course. Why smoothies? They are, after all, so cold. Well, maybe it's just me, because Christmas cookies are great and all (better than great if you get a good one), but I get tired of being so overloaded with sweets and, frankly, food in general at this time of year. Sometimes I want/need a little detox or something light, nutrient-dense, and hydrating. My body and mind pretty much always thank me for a good smoothie afterwards.

I've tried to keep these somewhat seasonal. Or chosen fruits that defy seasonality in general (aka they use bananas or another fruit we wouldn't be finding nearby in the U.S. anyway). Throw in a bit of kefir for some intestine-protecting micro-organisms (and what doesn't sound yummy about that) and you'll be even better to go at this time of year.

So have yourself a Merry Light Breakfast. (And maybe save me some pumpkin cake at lunch.)

1. Pumpkin (or Sweet Potato) Smoothie (there's a little blabbing on in this post--tell me you're shocked--and three options for different smoothies. They're all good and they're all super packed with Vitamin A.)


2. Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie (Hint: Add some spinach and it looks weird, but you can barely taste a change.)




4. Apple Kale Smoothie


5. Classic Green Smoothie. You might have to make a trip to the frozen section for some peaches, but you don't get much better than this smoothie.


6. Bonus. Ah, heck. While you're over in the frozen foods section for the peaches, get some blueberries too and make this blueberry soup for a huge kid-pleaser. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...