Sunday, September 11, 2016

Secret Recipe Club--Pretzel Bites


If I've learned anything from Pinterest, it's that the moment September hits, I'm supposed to start craving pumpkin. Now, with all due respect to pumpkin, it's not my true fall craving. The thing I really start craving when autumn hits is BREAD. Bread bread bread. Clearly I'm bracing for a hard winter by padding my body with those carbalicious calories or something. Like this week, how I went to the store to pick up a loaf of Italian bread to go with our pizza dip (recipe coming soon), and then was compelled to purchase several bagels as well. And then, because I clearly hadn't had enough, I sought out bread on the blog I had for this month's Secret Recipe Club.


And I was richly rewarded. My blog this month was I am a Honey Bee, which has delicious food lurking on every page. It's created by Nicole (you can call her Nic)--a mom/wife/architect/crafter/builder/creator. I chose to make these pretzel bites due to my autumnal bread addiction and they were FANTASTIC. Delicious texture and flavor, and they kind of burst open like some pretzels do, creating a seam of awesome. Delicious.


We made several bites and several pretzels and my kids went nuts making all kinds of crazy stuff and adding all kinds of crazy toppings. I think my favorite were the sesame seed. (Mmmm, and I'm already dreaming of bread for breakfast; I have a problem.). 

Pretzel Bites
adapted from I Am a Honey Bee
Makes: a whole lot
Prep time: 15 minutes
Rise time: 1-2 hours
Cook time: 30 minutes (about 8 minutes a batch, and we had several batches)

4 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp white sugar
1 1/4 C warm water
1 C white whole wheat flour
3 1/2 C all purpose flour
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt

For the bath before baking (Note; I used 1/2 C baking soda; I think you could go less for a less salty-ish pretzel)
1/2 C baking soda
4 C water

Your choice of toppings. We tried cinnamon sugar, sugar, salt, poppy seed, and sesame seed (my favorite). 

To Make:

In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 tsp sugar in warm water. 

Let it stand while you mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl: flours, sugars, and salt. 

Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and add the wet. Then use a stand mixer with the hook to mix. If it's too wet, add a bit more flour up to 1/2 C (but don't go over that). (Note: If you don't have a mixer or like to make bread by hand, I would add the dry ingredients cup by cup to the wet ingredients--so you'll need the wet ingredients in the big bowl. Then mix until you have to turn it out to knead it. Then knead it, adding more flour mixture as necessary.) 

Knead until smooth and then put in a bowl and cover with a clean dishtowel. Let rise 1-2 hours. 

When you're ready to make the pretzel bites, cut the dough into long pieces, then roll them (like you're rolling playdough snakes). Then cut the snakes into bite sized pieces, unless you're making traditional pretzels (though I really do recommend the bites because they were delicious--perfect texture and so easy to cook, so easy to dip). 

Boil your four cups of water and add 1/4-1/2 C baking soda (as water dissolves, add more or the pretzels start tasting too salty). Drop the bites into this liquid. Give them 30 seconds or so and they'll float to the top. Put them on a pan, covered with parchment paper (yeah, you want it; otherwise, these can stick). Sprinkle with desired toppings. Bake at 450 degrees for 6-8 minutes. 

Snarf them down. Prepare body for hibernation. 




8 comments:

  1. Your pretzel bites are beautiful!! I would need to muster some self control it I was in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to lick the screen... these pretzel bites look delicious!
    What a great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of sesame seeds on pretzel bites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drool... fresh homemade pretzels? YES PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I could eat way, way too many of these. Beautiful. Happy reveal day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love homemade pretzel bites! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids love homemade pretzel bites. I rarely make them but when I do the boys go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pretzel bites look perfect! yum!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...