Friday, July 29, 2011

Five Minute Blueberry Sorbet

Cheap Eat Challenge, Part 2: Watch as our family of 6 eats on $10/day.

(We're a little melty here. It's 80 degrees in the house and it didn't help that Emma was banging on my leg with  her bowl in eager anticipation while I tried to get a few pictures.)

Five minutes from start to finish. That's what I'm talking about.

Because blueberry sorbet is always pretty. And blueberry sorbet is always tasty. But blueberry sorbet is not always fast. Usually, you have to freeze it for a day or put it in an ice cream maker for 40 minutes. I'm not opposed to that or anything, but I tend to lack foresight. I tend to get to dinner and think, "Oh yeah, I wanted to have blueberry sorbet with this." Do I go through my life this way? Let's just say I have my days.

Besides speed, beauty, and blueberry lemon punchiness, the other great thing about this is that there's very little sugar in this blend. Normally with a sorbet, you have to have a certain amount of sugar to get it to freeze right. Not with a blender sorbet. With a blender sorbet, you can use however much you want.

Now if I could just get someone to gift me a Vitamix...

Five Minute Blueberry Sorbet
makes 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cost: $1.40
(blueberries: 1.29/pint on sale, kale: .05, lemon juice/sugar: .06)

1 1/2 C frozen blueberries
1 large kale leaf, spine torn out (or 1/2 C raw baby spinach leaves)
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
4 ice cubes
6-8 Tbsp water (you want to get away with as little as possible in order to get it as thick as possible)
a few scrapes of lemon zest for extra kick (optional)

Combine all ingredients in blender and pulse until completely smooth. Taste and add a bit more sugar if necessary (it will depend on how sweet your blueberries are). If your blender is awesome, this will take a minute. For me it took a little more. I kept having to shove my stuff down and mix it up, which leads me to the best smoothie making tip EVER. Seriously, I might give it its own post one of these days.

Best Smoothie Tip Ever: Use a celery stalk or carrot to mix or shove your fruit and ice down while the blender is blending. That way you will not end up accidentally breaking your wooden spoon or shattering your plastic spoon or bending your metal spoon or your blades while trying to shove food down to get your smoothie moving. I have broken a spoon at least 3 times and ended up with inedible shard-filled smoothie/hummus/sorbet. It pretty much always ends in tears. Better to get a teeny bit of carrot chopped up in your smoothie/hummus/sorbet. I promise you won't feel it go down the way you will with a bit of rubber spatula.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

1 comment:

  1. I love sorbet. This one looks just fantastic. Come over and visit us. We have a wonderful sorbet recipe this week too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...