Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Squash Casserole

Cheap Eat Challenge, Part 2: Watch as our family of 6 eats on $10/day.


Do you know what I love? I love a recipe that contains ingredients my husband normally refuses to eat, but that is so good that he eats it, sometimes with enthusiasm. This is just such a recipe. My sisters both gave it rave reviews and I tried it because it looked good and because I had squash. But I tried it thinking I'd be eating it on my lonely. (I often eat good, vegetable-laden foods on my lonely.) And then, lo and behold, Kip liked it. Is it his favorite food? No. But when someone hates squash and goes in for a second helping, I consider that a mighty good thing.

The inspiration for this recipe called for yellow squash, which is what we used, but I bet it would work just as well with zucchini.

Also, if you'd like to make this a little lower fat, you can use olive oil to saute the vegetables and then omit the other 2 Tbsp of butter, but I like the buttery flavor it adds.

Squash Casserole
adapted from allrecipes
makes 9x9 inch pan
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes

2 1/2 C chopped squash (we like ours chopped small).
very small onion, (chopped, grated, or heck--just throw 1/2 tsp onion powder in if you man is going to object to onion)
20 Saltines (crushed small--not powder, but small chunks)
3/4 C cheddar cheese, shredded (I like it sharp)
1 egg
scant 1/2 C milk
4 Tbsp butter, divided
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste

Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a skillet and saute the squash and onion in it for several minutes until tender.

Meanwhile crush your crackers and shred your cheese. Put these together in a bowl and mix them up. When the squash and onion is read, take it off the heat and put it in its own bowl (or, if you are lazy like I am--and why not be--put it right in the 9x9 inch pan you'll be using). Add 1/2 of the cracker/cheese mixture to the squash onion mixture. Mix the egg and milk together and add that to the squash mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Put it in the pan (if you haven't already) and top it with the remaining cracker/cheese mixture. Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter and drizzle it over the top of your casserole. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

1 comment:

  1. Delicious! I've been looking for a new summer casserole to make, perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...