Friday, November 2, 2012

Green Tomato Muffins



We trust each other, right? We might need to a little here. Because I realize that when I say "Green Tomato Muffins" you're not like "Move over, chocolate chips; I need to get me some of that action." I mean, well, maybe you are, but if you are you're just a little, well, probably not average. Anyway, I'm not going to compare these to chocolate chip cookies because that's kind of like comparing my post-baby body to Beyonce's or something like that. And we all know who's going to win in that contest (duh, me of course; I mean, that is what you were thinking, right?). Okay, we're just not going to compare them because. But do trust me when I say that these are excellent. As in very very good. As in could be eaten for breakfast, but could also be eaten for dessert. Also, they use up a lot of those tomatoes you brought in on that night of the first frost. For us, this was Wednesday. So at 9:00PM on Halloween night, I could be seen in all my weird neighborly creepiness out among my garden plants with a light on picking away. I'm glad I did. Because did I mention that these were excellent.

I adapted them from a Green Tomato Cake, which I will post soon hereafter. It was also good, but I gotta tell you that, between you and me, these were kind of my favorite. They didn't have all that glamorous extra sugar and frosting and all-purpose flour like the cake did, but I thought that they were more complex and flavorful and interesting--kind of like eye wrinkles (told you I had the best post-baby body).

Green Tomato Muffins
adapted from Cooks
makes 11-12 muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Cost: $.90
tomatoes: free, butter: .50, sugar: .10, egg: .10, flour: .05, whole wheat flour: .10, other stuff: .05

Note: My only complaint about these was that they were a little delicate and the bottoms stuck to my muffin pan. Use muffin papers (or whatever the heck they're called) and you won't have to worry about this.

1/2 C (1 stick) butter, softened
3/4 C sugar
1 egg
1 C pureed green tomatoes
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350. Line your muffin pan with muffins liners (or whatever the heck they're called).

Puree tomatoes. I put mine in a food processor to do this, although a blender would work too. I confess that I have no idea how many pounds of tomatoes equals 1 C as it was late and I didn't keep track. I say just puree what you've got and if you don't use all your puree, you can freeze in Ziploc baggies for later muffin cravings.

Beat butter and sugar until well combined. Add eggs. Add green tomatoes. Add dry ingredients. If you want you could add raisins or nuts, but I didn't.

Pour into muffin tin paper liner things and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...