Saturday, August 13, 2011

Three Iced Delights

Cheap Eat Challenge, Part 2: Watch as our family of 6 eats on less than $10/day.



In case you've missed it, it's August:
August = heat
August = back to school
August = great need for iced delights

Recently I've found 3 online that I think perfectly fabulous. Only 1 needs an ice cream maker. Two are so healthy they can be served for breakfast. One I'll be eating for my last meal and, unless a great deal of willpower is exercised, every day until then. And all three could easily qualify as a perfectly perfect after school snack. Or weekend fun snack. Or Sunday breakfast snack. Or, you know, just about an any-old-time snack.

1. Strawberry Banana Sorbet

-No ice cream maker.
-Made with only fruit.
-If you're dealing with not very sweet strawberries, you may want to add a Tbsp of sugar, but do taste it first to be sure.
-Perfectly virtuous, yummy, and pretty in every way.

2. Peanut Butter Cinnamon Ice Milk

-Ice cream maker required. (Although I'm willing to bet if you froze it in ice cubes and then blended it up with a good blender, that would totally work with this recipe.)
-Made with skim or low-fat milk, so the PB's the only fat.
-This called for some hot spices, which I omitted, but if you and yourn are brave, go for it. Mine ended up merely peanut cinnamon-y, which gave it a fun exotic taste. Not into exotic? Omit the cinnamon and mix in some chopped strawberries at the end of freezing to get a PBJ effect and some extra nutrients.

3. Grapefruit Gelato

-No ice cream maker required.
-If you've only got heavy whipping cream, lighten it up by using a bit of whole milk in the mix: I used the lowest-fat cream I could find, which was about 36% milkfat. Donna recommends 25-30%, so I used 1 3/4 C cream and 1/4 C 2% milk.
-This one is the least healthy, but it could make a person look forward to her last meal. It is much better than any gelato I've ever purchased from fancy stores in the states.
-Try it with lemon, limes, or any highly acidic fruit. And if you do, please please please let me know how it turns out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...