Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chocolate Pie with Latticed Cookie Crust

Cheap Eat Challenge, Part 2: Watch as our family eats on less than $10/day.



Every Thanksgiving we have a pumpkin pie and a chocolate pie.

I found this pie from Petit Chef where it looked dream dream dreamy, though frankly I had my doubts about it. Besides sporting a latticed top, the crust called for all kinds of non-crusty ingredients like eggs, baking powder, lemon zest and vanilla. I came close to using my go-to crust and then I sort of put something together. If you're brighter than me, you may have already figured it out. Because this crust isn't just a crust; it's a cookie with crust-like properties. I figured me and my chocolate filling could totally make peace with that.

So I made it. I found it a little fussy. And then I realized that I'd made most of it with a toddler in one of my arm. So while it's still fussier than this also awesome and easier than pie chocolate pie, it's not really that fussy at all. Unless you have only one arm. (And your non-arm wiggles and tries to grab things and eat all the chocolate before you've put it in the pie and then smear it's chocolate-y stump all over you.) Yes, unless this is true of your non-arm, you may still find this not too fussy.

I liked it just as much as my easier than pie chocolate pie and probably a little more. If you really just want to eat dark chocolate with a bit of crust or if you're looking for something that will only take you 10 minutes to put together, go here. However, if you're in the mood for a little something different that is still fabulously chocolate-y, something that will make you crave it when it's gone (is that a good thing?), give this a whirl. When I make it for Thanksgiving I'm planning to try a little orange zest in place of part or all of the lemon to give it a bit of a chocolate orange feel.

One more change you might want to make: You may wish to 1 1/2 the chocolate filling. It'll fill the pan up better. Of course, it may take a little of the petit out of your chef if you know what I mean. What can I say? Fold up your skinny jeans.

And if that isn't repulsively American enough for you...

Just in case you happen to be someone who hasn't really met the metric system since the 6th grade (and you didn't get it then either), I converted it into cups for you.

Chocolate Latticed Pie
From Petit Chef
Makes 1 9-inch pie
Cost: $2.30
(flour: .20, sugar: .20, butter: .40, eggs: .30, lemon: .25, chocolate: .75, cream: .20)

Crust:

2 C flour
3/4 C sugar
1 tsp baking powder
10 Tbsp butter
1 egg
1 egg yolk
zest from 1 lemon (I used a very small lemon and not even the whole one as I was worried about being overpowered with lemonliness)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Chocolate Filling:


4-5 oz dark chocolate (that's about 2/3 C if using dark chocolate chips)
1/2 C sugar
1 egg
2 oz or 1/4 C cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

For Crust:

In food processor, pulse flour, sugar and butter until butter in chunks. In separate bowl, mix egg, yolk, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add this to the food processor and process. It will be a little chunky and not quite come together.

Sometimes it's crumblier than this. Don't despair. Just use your hands to form it into a ball. 





Pour it out on counter (or in a Ziploc bag) and knead it once or twice till it comes together. Put it in the fridge while you make the filling.

Melt chocolate in microwave in 20 second intervals. Let cool somewhat. In the meantime beat egg and sugar unti light lemon-colored (this will take a minute or two.

dark

light

Add cream and vanilla and beat just until incorporated. Then add chocolate and beat.

Roll out about half of dough. Put this in your pan. Add the filling.
Roll out the other half as if to make a normal pie crust and then cut it in strips. Lattice the strips. I'm a little stupid at this, so I'll leave you to internet tutorials. However, I noticed that Petit Chef just laid her top layer over her bottom layer (as opposed to weaving and it came out looking great). Fold down the edges and pinch them to neaten them.



Bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads about 165-170.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

4 comments:

  1. LOL at your "fold up the skinny jeans"...just put them in storage until March, yes? Thanks so much for putting the recipe in cups. Hurts my brain to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "skinny" jeans have been put away for a long while now. As long as they are up I might as well indulge a little more. Haha! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got out a pair of thin jeans today. They haven't fit well since my last baby. I could zip them. Sitting down was a little more questionable.

    By the way, it was quite late when I did this post. I've added links for my easier pie and given the cost information if anyone's interested.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...