Saturday, November 12, 2011

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice

Cheap Eat Challenge, Part 2: Watch as our family of 6 eats on less than $10/day.


Lately, I've come across a bunch of recipes that call for pumpkin pie spice. It's not a crazy expensive spice to buy, although it's still cheaper to make because it's comprised muchly of cinnamon, which can be bought for very cheap. However, I've found that it's nice to have a recipe for this on hand for those times you find a recipe that calls for it and you don't have it. Not that things like that ever happen to me. Because I have a perfectly stocked pantry, especially if I'm making something in a time crunch. Yes, I am definitely always prepared at those times. But just in case you're not...

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
Makes 6-7 tsp
Prep time: 1 minute
Cost: I really have no idea, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say $.05

4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
generous dash allspice (optional and I usually leave it out, but if you're an allspice lover, you'll want to throw some in)

Mix all ingredients together. 

Then use as directed in your recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...