Saturday, February 21, 2015

Lentil Chickpea Soup




Today it iced. Then it rained. Then it snowed.

I'm thinking soup. Hearty, warm-the-bones soup. I've tried several (SEVERAL) lentil soups that have never made it to this blog because while I liked them fine, I knew I didn't like them well enough to make them again. This one, however, is a winner. Lovely balance of bean, spice, and creaminess. To winter.

Lentil Chickpea Soup
from Mel's Kitchen
Serves 8
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Cost: $4.00 ($.50/serving and this is filling)
onion: .10, carrots: .20, curry: .30, broth: .50, lentils: .40, chickpeas: 1.00, sausage: .50-1.00, cream: .50

1 Tbsp oil
1/2 C chopped onion
1-2 large carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp curry powder (or paste)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
6 C low-sodium chicken broth (if you don't have low sodium, then use part water--I used 6 C water and 4 tsp bullion and that worked)
1 C dry lentils (I just used boring old green)
1 can chickpeas, drained
1/2 lb pre-cooked sausage (something like polska kielbasa, or, well, whatever--also I used less than this)
1/3-1/2 C cream (I'd say NOT optional; I felt like this helped this soup go from decent to ooh-la-la for me)
almonds for garnish (optional)
cilantro for garnish (optional)

In a pot, heat oil. Add onion and carrots. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, curry, salt and pepper. Cook another minute or two (until nice and fragrant).

Add broth and lentils. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until lentils are tender but not mushy.

Stir in sausage and chickpeas until they're heated through. Then add that cream. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.

You can garnish with crunchy almonds or sassy cilantro or both.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...