Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Spinach Artichoke Dip

BEST OF THE TASTY CHEAPSKATE



You know how some people don't celebrate Christmas, and everyone who does celebrate Christmas just can't comprehend that (we try, but in our hearts we're really just like, "Huh?").

Well, that's kind of how I am with the Super Bowl. I just wasn't raised with it, okay. And I don't quite get the hoopla. 

Sometimes people will even invite me to their Superbowl parties. And then I always think, "Oh, how nice. I wonder who's playing." And then I think, "Well, it doesn't matter since I basically have no idea who any of those people are anyway." And then I wonder if maybe I should research it or something. I mean, is it rude to attend someone's Superbowl party and be like, "Rah, go faceless men in maroon tights!" Or some such similarly football-educated cheering statement? (Answer: Possibly.)

But then I just bring good food and all is totally well. And the people who eat the food don't even notice that you don't know maroon-tights man's name. And they don't care. Because they're just stuffing their faces and cheering. And if we could all just do more of that in life, then life would probably be a happier place (unless your team loses and then I just try to scooch away as inconspicuously as possible with, hopefully, some uneaten chips and dip). 

So happy Superbowl Sunday and many cheers to whatever men in tights you wish to win!!!



This spinach artichoke dip is the best there is. And I'm kind of old enough now that spinach artichoke chip is just a little, almost, well, retro. You should just embrace that and keep eating it.

Superbowl Sunday aside, we often eat this for dinner with sour dough bread. It's a super quick, somewhat healthy vegetarian thing (so righteous, eating dip for dinner). 


Tips for cheapening: 

1. Buy cream cheese on sale. I almost always buy it when it's $.99. It keeps for many weeks in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it if you're planning to add it to something cooked (the texture changes when frozen, but it gets melty when cooked, so it totally works). 
2. Use frozen spinach. It's cheaper and easier in this recipe
3. Cheese. This is better with decent cheese, but even cheap Parmesan works well, so don't be afraid if you didn't spend a million bucks on cheese. 

Spinach Artichoke Dip
makes one 8x8 inch pan's worth
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Cost: $4.20
cream cheese: $1.00, mayo: .10, cheese: 1.00, artichoke hearts: 1.50, spinach: .50, other stuff: .10

Note on spinach: I personally feel that this recipe is better with de-thawed, drained frozen spinach (hurray for the cheaper option). It's already mushy that way and you get a bunch of spinach in that frozen pack. If you're using fresh, cook it just until it wilts and then drain and squeeze the water out before throwing it into the dip. Otherwise, it comes out a little soggy.

Note on cheese: Feel free to mix it up. We've done all Parmesan, a blend of Parmesan, mozzarella, and Romano, a blend of Parmesan and Romano. You do want the harder (stinkier) cheeses to be the bulk of this. Too much mozzarella and it just becomes bland. 

8 oz cream cheese
1/4 C mayo
1 C Parmesan cheese
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped a bit
1 pkg frozen spinach, dethawed with the water squeezed out (or 4 C baby spinach, chopped small or cooked till wilted)
1 clove garlic (or 1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder in a pinch)
salt and pepper to taste (feel free to taste before cooking--it's still good, not quite transcendent yet, but still good)

Beat cream cheese and mayo. Mix in garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix in cheeses. Mix in artichoke hearts and spinach.

Mix it together well.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until the edges are brown and bubbly. 

Serve with crusty bread, crackers, or raw veggies.

2 comments:

  1. I love spinach artichoke dip! This looks divine so i’ll have to try it. I seem to have a hard time finding a recipe I like. As for the football...I wasn’t raised with it, either. I have no clue who’s playing and no interest in learning. Personally, I think the nfl is waaaaayyyyy overpaid and too entitled for my blood. Actually, I would say that about all professional sports. Okay, i’ll get off my soapbox, now!
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie! I hope you love this one. It is absolutely my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...