Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Very Banana Breakfast Cookies

Cheap Eat Challenge, Part 2: Watch as our family of 6 eats on less than $10/day.


You don't get a breakfast cookie or pretty much any breakfast much more healthy than this. Though I must warn you that these are very very banana-y. If you don't like bananas, you won't like these. If you do like bananas, but don't like concoctions that taste like banana, you won't like these. My oldest 2 kids don't like these. I like them, but I don't much like them warm. Now, cold, cold is another matter--not room temperature, but nice and chilled.

The chocolate chips are optional, but not in this joint.

Very Banana Breakfast Cookies
adapted from allrecipes
Makes 24 cookies (I think)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 12-15 minutes
Cost: $.95
(bananas: .40, oats: .20, sugar: .05, oil: .05, chocolate chips: .25)

Note: The original recipe calls for 1 cup of dates in lieu of the chocolate chips. I think this would be just awesome and would serve to naturally sweeten the recipe, but know it wouldn't go over with anyone else in this family. If you are better people than us, go for it. Otherwise, there's always chocolate.

3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
2 C oats (I use quick)
1/4 C honey or sugar
1/3 C vegetable oil (I usually reduce this a smidge)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4-1/2 C chocolate chips, optional

Combine all ingredients. If you've got 10 minutes, let this sit for 10 minutes, which will make it easier to put these on a baking sheet. If you haven't got 10 minutes, that's okay too, but the batter will be looser.

Plop onto cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges have browned a bit.

Allow to cool before eating. If you're me, give them some time in the refrigerator.

If everyone in the family doesn't love these, but a few do, these keep very well in the freezer, but not so well sitting out.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate is not optional around here either. I learned that from Michelle. I bet my boy would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Paces with their evil influences.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...