Monday, June 18, 2012

Healthy Fruit Pizza



It's time for a confession: I've been really uninspired in the kitchen lately. All I've really wanted to make is fruit pies. And I'm told that this is not appropriate dinner food. Sadly, even if I did make such a luxury for dinner, at least half of my kids would probably complain about it anyway. Boo hoo for me and all that.

We've been sticking to pasta salads, fish, and scrambled eggs--foods that are really quick and don't require much foresight. Or cook time. Or effort.

Then last week, while making Greek yogurt with a refrigerator full of cheap fresh fruit, I had a wonderful idea--an idea kind of like pie for dinner. Only easier. And healthier. And 8 minutes of oven time. Hello summer.

(P.S. I realize that for some families the idea of eating this for dinner is, like sacrilege, although it's really quite balanced, if a little sweet. It's got whole grain, considerably less sugar, yogurt instead of cream cheese, which means more calcium and healthy bacterial cultures, and let's not forget the fruit. Still, if that's not good enough for you, you can call it a healthy dessert if you want. Or make it for breakfast because we all know that breakfast gets away with more than dinner does.)

Healthy Fruit Pizza
Makes a medium pizza, which is 2-4 adult servings, depending on the type of adults living in your house
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 minutes
Cool time: 30 minutes
Cost: $2.00
(flour: .05, whole wheat flour: .10, sugar: .10, butter: .20, egg: .10, lemon: .20, Greek yogurt: 1.00, fruit: .25)

Crust (double this for a large pizza):

1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
1/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
5 Tbsp butter
1 egg
zest from 1/2 of a small lemon (optional; my son said he didn't like the lemony flavor, but I'm ga-ga for it)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

In food processor, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and butter. Pulse until crumb-like.

In small bowl, whisk egg, zest, and vanilla. Pour this into crumb and pulse until it comes together into a lump of slightly crumbly dough.

Press this onto a pizza pan. (We made a medium. If you double this, you'll have a respectable large.)

Bake for 6-8 minutes. Don't wait for it to brown or it'll be crumbly and unpleasant.

Let cool to room temp and add toppings.

Topping:

6 oz. Greek yogurt (I used full fat)
1/4-1/2 C sugar (We used more and I thought it could have gone a little less sweet. If your family is used to less sweet things, you could totally get away with only 1/4-6 Tbsp sugar.)
Sliced fruit of your choice (we used blueberries, strawberries, and grapes)

Whisk together yogurt and sugar.

Spread onto cooled crust. Cut and then add fruit toppings. You'll notice I said to cut the pizza first. That's because...Tip: Cut this before adding your fruit. I read this tip somewhere after the fact and realized it was pure brilliance. Trust me, slicing a strawberry or other firm fruit when atop a soft filling can make for a messy slice.

Eat and enjoy. I had a slice of this with a bit of a leftover omlette. But even without the egg, it's a very complete and balanced meal if complete and balanced is your thing.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

9 comments:

  1. That fruit pizza is so pretty! I love food that is bright and looks alive :) that uninspired feeling? I feel it too! It's okay though to take a break sometimes, enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This sounds completely brilliant! And I'm going to make this as a surprise for my college daughter who is home for the summer. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm kind of blah on kitchen inspiration myself. But I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent recipe! I made it for my tennis team for a birthday, and we all downed it very quickly. Making two heart-shaped ones for Valentine's Day today! Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY! Thanks for sharing the recipe, the ideas for do-overs, and most especially the photos! We have been craving fruit pizza and I was about to give in to the old cookie-dough recipe, but I found your post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm planning to make this for lunch tomorrow. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite snack forever. I always request my sister to make this for me. She makes the best fruit pizza.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...