Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Cilantro Cream Sauce for Fish Tacos


So at the end of the year when Kip and I ordered 2 (TWO) years worth of pictures, which came to us in haphazard order, I begged him to add that date feature to our camera. And then when these food bloggy pictures came up, I thought, "Oh yeah." So until I remember to ask my electronic genius of a husband to remove it (because I am electronically remedial), you'll get that lovely date on my pictures. Alas.

But nevermind my photographing and electronic insecurities. Let's talk about fish. Fish is easy and fast. Tacos are easy and fast. It's a heavenly match. I mean, seriously, this is amazing and healthy dinner in less than 15 minutes. But if you top it with something nasticular because you don't know what you're doing, then you will be sad. So top it with something good and still easy.

I came across this little recipe in a cookbook called The Picky Palate, which is great (though not at all, in my humble and rather experienced opinion, at all for picky palates). It's lovely and cooling and simple. We used it over tilapia, but I plan to use the rest this week over shrimp. I think it would work over any basic, mild white fish.

You'll cook your fish first. I did my tilapia for just about 3 minutes a side in a skillet with simple olive oil. Then you add this. You can leave it just fish and sauce in your taco or add shredded cabbage, avocado (which is wicked good with this) slivers of red peppers, or cooked peppers and onions (my choice).

Cilantro Cream Sauce for Fish Tacos
adapted from The Picky Palate
prep time: 3 minutes
Cost: $.40
sour cream: .25, cilantro: .10, other stuff: .05

4 oz sour cream
1/2 C finely chopped cilantro leaves
1/4 tsp hot sauce (or a dash or two of cayenne pepper)
1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
1/2-1 tsp lime juice

Combine all ingredients. Use as a topping for flaked fish or shrimp.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...