Monday, June 15, 2015

Rhubarb Buttermilk Cake






Yesterday when I was talking to my sister-in-law about moist yellow cake, this one came up. "Yeah," I told her, "I've got this rhubarb buttermilk cake on my blog that's really moist." She looked. It wasn't there. Time to remedy that.

This cake is very moist with a coffee cake type crumble on top. I used rhubarb in it, which I highly recommend. It adds a little kick of something a bit tart-ish (like lemon would). However, if you don't have rhubarb, I bet strawberries or raspberries or blueberries or, heck, even grated zucchini would work pretty well too (though I haven't tried it, so no guarantees). Also, I should warn you that my kids picked out all the pieces of the rhubarb when they ate this cake. Sigh. That's how we roll.

Rhubarb Buttermilk Cake
adapted from Mmmm Is for Mommy
Makes 1 8x8 inch pan
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
Cost: $3.60
rhubarb (I have honestly no idea; mine was from my garden, which I could call "free" except that it took me three plants before I learned to grow it without killing it)--anyway, let's say 1.50, butter: 1.00, sugar: .30, eggs: .20, flour: .30, buttermilk: .15, other stuff: .15

1 1/2 C chopped rhubarb (I chopped mine quite small; I don't like having a bite of cake where it's all mushy fruit)
3 Tbsp sugar
2/3 C butter (at room temperature)
2/3 C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 C buttermilk

For the crumble:

1/3 C butter (about 5 Tbsp) at room temp or a little softer
1/2 C all-purpose flour (this might be a good place to sneak some whole wheat in)
1/2 C sugar (white)
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Toss rhubarb with the 3 Tbsp sugar and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and 2/3 C sugar. Beat in eggs, then add vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients.

Alternate adding dry ingredients with buttermilk (dry, buttermilk, dry, buttermilk, dry).

Fold in the sugared rhubarb.

Spray an 8x8 inch pan with cooking spray. Add your batter.

Then prepare the crumble by mixing all that stuff together. I just use my fingers until it's crumbly, but if you wanted to be refined I suppose you could use a pastry mixer or something. Scatter this over the batter.

Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until the center is not raw. Amen and amen.

Let cool and serve.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...