Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cranberry Oat Breakfast Cookies

Cheap Eat Challenge, Part 2: Watch as our family of 6 eats on less than $10/day.



It's been a long time since I posted my Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookies. It's even been a few months since I made them myself. But this morning, I was peanut butter and chocolated out and Savannah was begging for breakfast cookies. I wanted to make these just a tiny bit healthier and I had some cranberries (homemade, but not by me, and sweetened with apple juice) sitting in my pantry calling to me. Or maybe that was one of my children stuck in the pantry and calling to me. It's hard to be sure some days.

We threw in a few white chocolate chips for good measure and ended up with a beautiful, delicious cookie. The cranberries gave a zingy punch that I liked (especially those apple juice sweetened ones). If you don't like zing, well, store-bought cranberries don't have as much, but if even that's too much for you, you could sub in dried figs or dates and have something not quite as lovely, but very delicious nevertheless.

Cranberry Oat Breakfast Cookies
Makes 12 smallish cookies, 9 larger ones
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Cost: $1.75 for batch

1/3 C butter, melted (you can get away with 1/4 C, but you'll have to reduce the oats a bit)
1/3 C brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 C whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 C oats
1/8-1/4 C white chocolate chips
1/3 C dried cranberries

Combine butter with sugar and mix in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Mix that in with the wet ingredients. Add oats (I use quick). The mixtures will be quick thick. Add white chocolate chips and cranberries and mix those in (don't be afraid to use your hand to mash them in if you need to).

Plop dough onto cookie sheet and smash it a bit as it won't spread during baking. Bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes depending on how crispy you like your oatmeal cookies (we like ours soft and went the 8 minute route). Note: We made large cookies. If making small ones, you'll want to reduce the baking time a tad.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...