Friday, September 23, 2011

Watermelon Lemonade Slurpee

Cheap Eat Challenge, Part 2: Watch as our family of 6 eats on less than $10/day.


Yeah, I know that today is the first day of fall. (Of course I only know that because my 1st grader pointed it out, but whatever, I knew it was coming.) But here in southern Indiana, you can still find a decent watermelon at the Farmer's market. And you still have days of such stunning beauty that your husband spends the bulk of them outside working on a stone patio and you occasionally go out and stand there and watch. Yes, it can be exhausting. Which is why you need this slushee. And maybe you can share some with your sweating spouse too.

I had some watermelon chunks hanging out in the freezer. They were waiting for a watermelon drink experiment involving limes, which I never got around to before consuming all my limes. In addition to this I had not enough lemonade to feed all my children without one or all of them whining that they hadn't gotten enough. I had a hot husband (in every sense of the word, I assure you) and I had an after school snack to dream up. And then I had an idea.

The best thing about this drink was that it really did come out in consistency exactly like a 7-11 Slurpee. It had that frothy icy thing going on. I was a little surprised myself. I'm quite confident that if I had set out to create a Slurpee-like drink in my very own blender, I would have spent the rest of my life in frustrated trying. Fortunately, the idea never occurred to me, and thus, a Slurpee fell right into my lap (not, fortunately, literally, although Emma did her best to try to spill hers on me several times).

Watermelon Lemonade Slurpee
Serves 2-4
Prep time: 2 minutes (not counting watermelon freezing time and lemonade making time)
Cost: $.40
(watermelon: .25, lemonade: .15)

Note: I'm willing to bet a limeade would have been just as good if not a little bit better, so if you've got some hanging around, go for it. As for me, that's a project for next summer.

3 C frozen watermelon balls
1 1/2 C lemonade (I used homemade, but I bet any would work)

Blend them together.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


This and my other sweet treats from the week are linked up at Sweets for a Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...