Monday, November 15, 2010

Apple Cake--The Wholesome Sister


There's something to be said about wholesome sisters. Oh sure, maybe they're not as voluptuous, as flirtatious, as sticky sweet. But if there's one thing I've learned from obsessively making apple cake, it's that the wholesome sister can have an unexpected depth, a flavor that is surprising, rich, texturous (that's not a word, is it?), and a certain firmness about it that some find attractive Also, you can eat her for breakfast. (Sorry, sausage lovers; I clearly have a baked goods problem.)

I didn't expect this cake to be this good, but there's something about the whole wheat. It's awesome. In fact, I think I might have to add it to the full-sugar variety next time I try it to see what happens. It gives the cake a sort of nutty-ness that is a really nice complement to the baked sugar and the apples. Also, it's just a bit more toothsome, and I like that in a baked good.

Apple Cake--The Wholesome Sister
Serves 16

One final note: You can probably substitute apple sauce for some of the oil (I'd recommend 1/4 C oil and 1/4 C apple sauce). However, it's going to change the texture of the cake. You're going to end up with something a little bit spongier, which isn't my thing in a cake. If it doesn't bother you and fat does, then go for it. If, however, you'd like less fat and to still have that almost crispy-edged cake that only oil and sugar can give you, I'd recommend you try reducing the oil to 1/3 C. And if you do, tell me what happens. (Pretty please.)

1/2 C oil
1 egg
6 T sugar (truly, I think you could get away with 4, but I haven't tried it)
1 1/4 C whole wheat flour
pinch salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 C apples (about 2 medium), peeled and chopped

Mix oil, eggs, and sugar. Sift dry ingredients. Add dry to wet. Add apples and mix well. Pour into greased 8x8 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...