Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Savory Pumpkin Soup


This, my friends, is a pumpkin. You may mock me if you wish, but I've never cooked with an actual pumpkin before (not counting one small cooking disaster about 10 years ago). This one weighed just over 2 lb and cost just over $.50 at WalMart this week. That inspired me.

I chopped it up and roasted it with an onion and a brushing of olive oil, salt, and pepper.



I scooped out the centers of the pumpkin and cooked it all with a couple cups of chicken broth. Then pureed it and added a dollop (a teaspoon or so) of cream.


It was good and I certainly ate plenty, but it wasn't quite perfect. It was a bit too oniony, too thick, and it needed something else.
This, my friends, is the working of an obsessive compulsive mind (and a very bad photographer).

Today I decided to try out some different spices. Here you see the contestants: Chili powder, Curry powder, Cardamom, Turmeric, Dill, Cumin, and a suicide with a bit of everything.

The winners: Curry and Cardamom were my favorites. They made for a really warm flavored soup. The dill was also surprisingly good and a little something different. The cumin and suicide were fine. The chili and the tumeric just couldn't hack it alone. What I wish I'd tried as well: tarragon and fennel.

So, without further ado:

Savory Pumpkin Soup

1 2lb pumpkin cut into pieces
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 medium onion (I used a whole and found it too oniony. If you do not enjoy kissing your husband, however, a whole onion might be just the thing)
2-4 C chicken stock (I used 2 and was too lazy to open another can, but would have preferred it with more. About my too-thick soup, my 3-year-old said, "That's not soup. That's something you eat from a bowl." )
1 clove garlic
1/2-1 t dill, curry, cardomom (or a combination thereof) (Or try a tarragon or fennel if you're feeling feisty.)
cream for garnishing (If you'd like to do 2 C chicken stock and then 1/4-1/2 C cream or half and half or even sour cream, that would make this soup really creamy and perfect, if you're into creamy perfect things)

Roast pumpkin and onion brushed with olive oil and salt and pepper for 35 minutes. Add the garlic clove and roast another 10 minutes.

Scoop out pumpkin and toss veggies into a saucepan with chicken broth. Bring to boil, then simmer for a few minutes. Let soup cool slightly and puree. Add seasonings. I like to serve with a dollop of cream or sour cream in each bowl.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

And the bonus feature of using an actual pumpkin: roasted pumpkin seeds.

I didn't bother to clean off the pan I'd used to roast the vegetables--just threw on the (washed) seeds, 1 T olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted them at 400 for 10 minutes. I love these things.

3 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...